Thursday, March 22, 2012

Detox Diet - Day 2

Part of the reason I decided to take on this detox was because my mood has taken a major shift. I wake up irritated, I have lost interest in what typically keeps me going. While I am not looking at this detox as a cure, I am hoping that it can help to give me a new outlook - that fresh start that I spoke of in previous posts.

It's day 2 and I woke up the same way, irritated, not wanting to get out of bed or go to work. After getting everything taken care of and on the road, I drank my two glasses of water and everything started to change. There is something so simple and soothing about water. I know that our bodies react very well to cool water. It is easy for Americans to get water - we have sinks, and bottled water at every turn. Our bodies, however, can go into survival mode when we do not drink liquids, causing us to get irritated or panicky. It is instinctual - we are programmed to hunt for water. I wonder if I have pushed myself into survival mode? Who knows.

One thing I am missing today - caffeine. I gave up coffee, for the most part, months ago. I do still enjoy a glass of green or black tea most days. Today would be one of those days. I am not craving caffeine, as a matter of fact I am not really craving anything today, but I do feel the affects of having no caffeine - sluggishness, heavy eyes. I am sure this is more a side effect of not having caffeine, not a side affect of actually being tired - but we shall see in the next 8 days.

My day ended beautifully with Karuna's Thursday night class. We worked closely with Pratyahara, or a softening of the senses to bring the focus inside. This theme is perfect for this detox. Getting the chance to go inside and be with myself was amazing. I would have to say that I had the most quiet savasana ever.

Points from the day:
  • The detox gets easier. I was scared that this was going to be impossible. I do miss certain foods, but have gained a new perspective.

  • Caffeine plays a greater part in my life than I thought
  • Grapefruit rocks my world

No comments:

Post a Comment