Sunday, August 18, 2013

Month of Shoulder Stand - Day 1

As many of you know, over the last year I have been recommitting myself to my pranayama practice. One thing that is very important to pranayama is Jalandara Bandha - which is perfected in shoulder stand. I feel like I have been neglecting my shoulder stand a bit - so I have determined that I will go back to doing 5 minutes of shoulder stand every day. 

I realized today how far I have drifted away from comfort in shoulder stand. I don't have a lot of trouble when others are telling me what to do (from a teacher in class), but when I practice on my own, I often back away from shoulder stand sooner than I originally intend to. Today I started easy (for me), by holding shoulder stand for about two minutes, then doing three minutes of halasana. I believe that my issues with the pose come from my shoulders and groins. Tightness and fatigue often pull me away from my holding, so I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me - to loosen up and maintain the holding for longer.

I will try to write something every day - try! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment