Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Squeezing it In – Workday Tips

Having a full time job, a partner, and a pet can make it difficult to squeeze in my daily asana practice. If I had it my way, I would practice two hours of asana a day and follow it up with an hour of pranayama and/or meditation. Unfortunately, my life does not allow that – I don’t think many people have that luxury. So how do we maintain a home practice? We have to squeeze it in – make it happen.

I am not much of a morning person. I still somehow manage to get up every morning at 5:30, take the dog out and get ready for work. After work, I come home, take the dog out, cook dinner, and clean up. The rest of my day I spend getting ready to start all over again.

I can easily sneak in classes on weekend mornings or practice at home. During the week, however, I have to be crafty. B.K.S. Iyengar has mentioned in his writing that he believes asana practice should include a good amount of sweating. So before I jump in the shower in the morning, I will do 3 minutes of chaturanga dandasana (low plank) to vasisthasana (side plank) – poses that are difficult enough to break a sweat, without needing to be warm. A few sun salutations are also a great way to start the day, by simply fitting in 5 minutes of salutations; you can begin your day in an exciting way.

In the afternoon at work, just like everyone else, I start to feel very low energy. Instead of going for coffee or sugar, I retreat to a hidden corner of the building to do a few handstands against the wall. Not only is this pose supported, but it provides a quick burst of energy that can keep me going through the afternoon. If you feel that handstands are too difficult for you, try holding downward facing dog for a few minutes. Don’t have a dark corner? Close your door, go outside, or ignore everyone else and try it publicly. You may even start a trend at work or find out that others at your job practice as well.

1 comment:

  1. One reader from my Facebook page mentioned that she dances in the bathroom stall at work to get energy. Joy!

    ReplyDelete